At Williams + Hughes we have more than 30 years’ experience advising a range of charities and not-for-profit organisations. Many of our Principals have experience as Board members of charities. We understand the distinct commercial and legislative requirements of this sector and are well placed to deliver advice on practical solutions for charitable and not for profit organisations.
We have experience in advising charities on governance; registering with the Australian Charities & Not for Profits Commission (ACNC); tax concessions, DGR status, compliance and other matters.
The services we provide in this sector include:
- Advising Boards on corporate governance and compliance;
- Structuring, establishing and transitioning for not-for-profits and charities;
- Securing charitable status and tax concessions for charities;
- Negotiating settlements on behalf of charities and private clients in relation to disputed estates;
- Applying for probate for charities and not-for-profit organisations; and
- Establishing school scholarship funds and obtaining Designated and Gift Recipient (DGR) status.
Our work includes:
- Acting for two leading Perth private schools in:
- establishing Scholarship and Bursary Funds and obtaining DGR status for those funds
- advising the Schools and their Foundations on their Constitutions and governance matters
- Acting for a school in regional Western Australia in establishing a school Foundation
- Completing the re-structure of a leading Western Australian heath related charity from an association to a company limited by guarantee and obtaining DGR status as a public ancillary fund
- Assisting charities in re-structuring including changing from an association to a company limited by guarantee
- Advising religious orders
- Undertaking the Western Australian element of a national restructure of a religious order and its property holdings and obtaining exemption from stamp duty
- Advising well known national and local charities on estates and disputes concerning estates and applying for letters of administration with the will annexed on behalf of charities where the executor does not wish to act
- Acting pro bono for the Dogs Refuge Home (WA) Inc, one of Perth’s oldest animal charities