Jonathan has practiced as a commercial lawyer for more than 10 years. He has advised on numerous commercial transactions, with a focus on agribusiness and farming, contracts, property, wills and estates. He also acts for clients providing services to the mining industry.
Jonathan adopts a pragmatic, problem solving approach directed at delivering value for money advice. Jonathan comes from a farming background and understands what is important for farmers and agribusiness owners. He has also acted for clients in the marine services and boat building industries.
Jonathan is a graduate of the University of Western Australia and the University of Notre Dame, Australia. After graduating Jonathan was an Associate to the Honourable Justice Le Miere of the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
He is a member of the Law Society of Western Australia and STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Planners).
Jonathan is based in our West Perth Office. He provides pro bono advice to Pollinators, a business incubator in Geraldton.
Recent commercial matters Jonathan has managed include:
- Advising a pastoralist regarding reciprocal water rights with a neighbouring property. This involved securing water rights and access to water infrastructure when the ownership of the neighbouring property changed hands.
- Advising clients on exiting a complex multi-party partnership arrangement involving the ownership of a large station on the Nullabor Plain. As we advised our clients to have releases signed early in the matter they were able to proceed secure that they were divested of liabilities. This reduced the stress involved with the complicated process.
- Acting on behalf of clients who were defrauded by their financial advisor, securing a payment from the institution that employed the financial advisor.
- Advising rural property owners caught up in a fraudulent property deal.
- Advising in relation to a cancelled sale, negotiated a return of deposit.
- Successfully procuring probate in respect of a Will that had not been signed where the executor was previously deceased.
- Advised on a complex Will and Estate plan for the family owners of a high value aquaculture business. This matter involved resolving complicated issues around assets held in trust and duties liabilities.
- Advising in respect of various shareholder disputes.
- Negotiating on behalf of farming land owners with mining companies seeking access for Miscellaneous Licences.
- Devising estate plans for high net worth clients whose affairs include complex business structures (trusts, companies and partnerships, primarily in the agricultural and fishing sectors).
- Providing trust advice generally (including on occasions having to take steps to rectify significantly flawed trusts).
- Assisting with various business restructures.
- Various leasing and complex property dealings.